Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reflection on Chap. 4

This chapter begins with a bang! Burmark describes how different people approach prioritization of educational goals.  Her point is that effective teaching boils down to two things: 1. Get their attention, and 2. Make the presentation stick. She then describes how she used humor and props to start a memorable presentation to a school board association. I've been present at some presentations and speeches where the speaker began with a joke or a song or with props, and those are the ones that grabbed my immediate attention. Burmark uses the example of Velcro as a metaphor for education...what are the hooks? What are the loops? Teaching must be able to "hook" the students, and the "loops" should make the kids "stick". I know that when I taught kindergarten, we had a lot of hands-on activities that tied in with the alphabet books used by the students. To this day, some children and their parents remember the "alligator pie" we made for the letter A, or the "gold hunt" for the letter G...the hooks and the loops. Burmark lists some hooks that comprise the acronym "CHIMES2": connections, humor, images, music, emotion, story and senses. As I read her explanations for each hook, I thought back to my classes, and how I used some of these hooks in my lessons. I realized that while I used at least one or two, I probably could've used more. I'm interested to read further in the text about the different hooks, and learn how to incorporate these hooks in lessons.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mental time-trip back to my early grades which were happier than later ones. I suppose that's a common experience - not that I'd go back if I could.

    Making it stick is essential. My spotty memory only pulls up bits and pieces, but one of the things I remember well is being read to. Various of my teachers read books to the class out loud - I got wrapped up emotionally in the story. Exposure to classic children's literature was a good thing, but if my teachers had slipped in some educational points with the narrative they would have found me, at that time, particularly receptive.

    Any kind of hands on activity was good too.

    ReplyDelete